ATL Airport Info Packet
SFCI Blog List
Stay in Touch
Sustainable Food Court Initiative
An Integrated Approach to Sustainability
An Ei Task Force in Partnership with the National Restaurant Association
To bring zero waste initiatives to food courts and develop industry sustainable best practices for Back-of-the-House and Front-of-the-House operations
Christopher Moyer, National Restaurant Association Conserve Program Director and Doug Kunnemann, NatureWorks LLC, Business Segment Director:
Pilot Facilities - Property Owners|Managers:
WHY:Reasons food court operations are a challenge for zero waste initiatives:
- Common property waste and recycling contracts for the entire property
- Landlord/tenant relationships ~ contractual legal restrictions and obligations
- Franchisee/franchisor relationships ~ contractual legal restrictions and obligations
- Consumer interaction of consumed food and its packaging
- Third party products brought into the food court not purchased from the Quick Service Restaurants (QSR) or landlord
- Food may be prepared in a commissary or off-site kitchen and transported to the QSR for minimal on-site prep
- Multiple packaging used in the Front and Back of QSR’s and by the landlord
WHO:The SFCI Team consists of national leaders in the foodservice, packaging, recycling and waste hauling industries along with the supporting industry trade associations.
WHERE:Food courts in the following categories: shopping mall, multi-use building, event venue and airport, will serve as pilot projects to develop industry standards that strive for zero waste.
HOW:Each pilot project is broken into three phases supported by a committee of industry experts. These categories include: Back-of-the-House, Front-of-the-House and General Food Court Area.
For additional information or to join SFCI, contact Holly Elmore at 404-261-4690 or firstname.lastname@example.org.